Jumia

Monday 8 June 2015

Serena Williams Eyes Wimbledon after French Open Victory




After winning the 20th grand slam of her career at the French Open, Serena Williams already has her sights on winning Wimbledon.
Serena Williams is already focusing on improving her recent record at Wimbledon in order to achieve a calendar Grand Slam, following her French Open triumph.
World number one Williams made it two out of two at the slams this year after defeating Lucie Safarova 6-3 6-7 (2-7) 6-2 in Saturday’s Roland Garros showpiece.
But far from dwelling on her latest triumph, the American has already switched her attention to the grass-court season and in particular to Wimbledon, where she has won five of her 20 grand slam titles.
Williams has fallen in the fourth and third rounds in the past two years in SW19 and is aware that her performance levels must improve to boost her chances of a 2015 clean sweep.
I feel like I am still kind of celebrating [slam] number 19, but here I am at 20,” she said. “It feels like a dream. At times I wonder if it is my life.
“I would obviously love to win the [calendar] Grand Slam. I mean [I am] one away from the ‘Serena Slam’ [holding all four titles at once].
“I haven’t done well at Wimbledon in the past, so my main goal will be to play better at Wimbledon and do better than last year. The grass is perfect for my game.
“My goal is to do well there. It has been hard for me in London last years, so I want to improve that.”
Williams’ victory in Paris came despite the top seed having suffered with illness this week, which may explain why she was taken to three sets in wins over Sloane Stephens and Timea Bacsinszky.
She also let a 4-1 lead slip in the second set on Saturday before showing her class to win, and Williams believes this was the hardest of her three victories at Roland Garros.
The last 48 hours have been a nightmare, horrible,” she added. “After Bacsinszky, after the semi-final, I was in the locker-room. I didn’t make it to press. I barely made it home, took a hot shower and went to bed.
“I told the physio I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to play. But they helped me out. This is the hardest grand slam that I have won. When you have flu your whole body aches.
“Right now I don’t have a lot of energy, I just want to go to bed. At the beginning of the tournament I wasn’t playing the way Serena Williams is supposed to play. So I am glad I could turn it around
“I was so angry at myself today. I gave the match away, she was playing better but I also gave it to her. I had to pull it together.

No comments: